Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Reflection 6

Re the Whorfian hypothesis: Are there concepts or ways of saying things in one of the languages that you speak that can not be said or expressed or the meaning changes in another of your languages? How do you address culture in your classrooms? Do you go beyond the "holiday" model of culture?

When I think of this question, False Cognates come to my mind. For example, carpet in English means a floor rug; when you translate it means “alfombra.” “Carpeta” in Spanish is a folder; thus, changing the meaning. If I used this in a sentence: The carpet is red. In Spanish is: “La alfombra roja.” If I say it in Spanish: “La carpeta roja;” in English it will be, “the red folder.” I hope this makes any sense. The example that Alfonso provided for us is also a common misconception: embarrassed = embarazada.

My classroom is culture. I have students from different SES, different regions of Mexico, etc.; therefore, holidays in a Kinder grade level in general are vital. This is due to the fact that we are introducing the “calendar concept” and how it woks. For a reflective teacher, “holidays” are the perfect path to strong cultural foundation. Every holiday turns into a thematic unit. This helps students to grasp meaning and the importance of holidays.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Hey guys, look at my blog for an invitation. Erika