Sunday, June 17, 2007

Reflection 7

From your experience, what are some of the affective factors that you encounter in your classrooms? How do they interfere in learning? How do lower the affective filter? Many of you work with children. What are some of the issues concerning motivation with children? How do address motivation in the classroom? Can you motivate them or does motivation come from within?

The only affective factor that I have encountered in my classroom has to do with attitude.
The attitude a student brings to the classroom will affect their learning. If the student brings a pessimistic attitude, his/her learning will be limited. This was the case of one of my best students (Gifted and Talented student mentioned below). Although, she is good at everything, just because of her “pantalones,” she would not perform well. When I instructed her to do something, she would say no to me at all times. Little did I know her family was the enabler to her stubbornness? Her mother was using “extrinsic rewards” to have her do things at home.

Motivation is a vital component in a classroom. Some teachers opt for extrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation rewards come from outside such a as money, prizes, grades, etc. (p. 172). Reflective teachers choose intrinsic motivation over extrinsic motivation. Intrinsic motivation comes from within; the only reward is competence and self-determination (p.172). As a Kindergarten teacher, I teach my students to be proud of their accomplishments. I praise them constantly. I show them my excitement when they do well. Of course for kindergarteners, the most valuable reward is to make their teachers happy. We are the core of their lives at this age. Thus, it is imperative that we not over implement extrinsic rewards. At this early stage of their lives, children are sponges; they absorb everything. We must not encourage a behavior that later might affect them in real life situations. If extrinsic motivation is constant in our classroom, students will expect a reward (prize or money) in order to perform well.

I had an extraordinary year, out of twenty-two students, even were identified Gifted and Talented (GT). The only student that did not make it would not answer her GT exams. I know she is GT. When I approached her mother and explained the situation her answer shocked me. She said that is the way she is at home. I have to pay her to do things. I paid her $10.00 to dance in the 5 de Mayo Celebration. Isn’t this sad? In my opinion, this kid is up for a “reality check” at a later time in her life. The excessive and misused of extrinsic motivation will cause a negative impact on any person.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Polo,
Thanks so much for your kind words; if what I have experienced with my life and some of the work I have done can inspire just one person, then I feel that it is not in vain.

I am very grateful for your recognition, and also for your blog, which describes so well how kids can be messed up by their parents. But there is always time later, coupled with motivation, to "get it right."

Allow me to praise your very eloquent and admirable usage of English. You should be a real inspiration with all who come in contact with you, both adults and children. You are very talented and surely will have the many years before you to do good work with many people.

I love your comments in class and also on our blog. Sorry that we are not in class together longer.

Sincerely,
Carol