Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reflection 9

Discuss the role of emotional language in your L1 and L2. Which language is emotionally richer? As your learners acquire (participate?) in their new speech communities do you see a change in their emotional language behavior. Reflect on the notion of (re)construction of self in your own L2 or L3 learning experiences.

After I thought about it, I think that emotional language works just like “emotional intelligence.” According to Goleman (p. 109), the emotional mind is far quicker than the rational mind. If we are upset, happy, or sad, I think the first language will trigger faster because we tend not to think rationally when we are emotional. In addition, we are exposed to our first language first; therefore, we experienced emotions in that language. In my opinion, I think a first language is emotionally richer. Also, when we want to play the victim, since we have a richer vocabulary, we put more emotion.

As a Kindergarten teacher, I have noticed that my students try to explain things to me in English when they crying, but then switched back to Spanish. Although, this might be because they have not acquired the second language completely, nor BICS or CALPS, they feel more comfortable in their first language; which indeed is the language they experienced their first emotions in.

God knows that I am more dramatic in Spanish than in English when I am mad or sad. Hehe!

PoLo

6 comments:

Learning languages 4 life said...

Hey Polo,

You know what I ralized? That for me, when I'm mad, the language I'll use will depend on who is at the receiving end on my anger (a place where NOBODY wants to be :-)). For example, if I'm mad at someone that speaks English, then that's the language that' will come more easily, maybe b/c I know that's the one the person will understand. When I'm sad...man, I don't know, I would say that I use a combination of whatever language available. Now the language I'd like to "dance to" and the one I like to sing (that doesn't mean I can sing!)is Spanish. Does it make sense? I really think I'm weird.

Ana

Polo Trejo said...

Ana,

Aren't we all weird?

LOL

PoLo

Janette said...

The same switching of languages that occur in your classroom is the same that happens in mine. I am in total agreement with you on how they have experienced those feelings in their first language that they are able to express themsleves better. They do form a more personal connection to their first language. I think that it is very important for them not to lose their first language in the process of acquiring thier 2nd language. This is why I think bilingual programs are beneficial because these programs immerse the students in both languages where they will have more choices in which to use their langauge being emotional or not.

Janette said...

The same switching of languages that occur in your classroom is the same that happens in mine. I am in total agreement with you on how they have experienced those feelings in their first language that they are able to express themsleves better. They do form a more personal connection to their first language. I think that it is very important for them not to lose their first language in the process of acquiring thier 2nd language. This is why I think bilingual programs are beneficial because these programs immerse the students in both languages where they will have more choices in which to use their langauge being emotional or not.

Kinder Rocks said...

Janette,

Your comment to Polo was well thought out. Bilingual Programs are an asset in the education system. I know not everyone agrees. But, I strongly believe, that most students that exit a bilingual program have more advantages than those instructed in a general setting.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.